Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Scribbles 2....

I'm sitting here at the methadone clinic all by myself so i decided to write up a post since I got an internet connection thanx to the medical assistant whom sympathized on my loneliness while waiting for the patients to come in one by one...haha didnt know he was that sensitive...but anyway this connection can go on and off..a bit gila sometimes so hopefully it doesn't betray me before i finish composing. Well, it has been about a month since I got posted to Lenggong. I'm beginning to get used to the place, food and people....I can honestly say I'm pretty much comfortable here so far though sometimes I do feel a bit out of place especially in my work place....guess even how much they try to be frenly its like they still have a barrier set between them..somehow i do understand why. Apart from that everything seems to be working out just fine Praise the Lord.
Besides managing the pharmacy in Lenggong, I got to travel everyday to another clinic about 30mins from Lenggong called Lawin (the place where I am currently at now, happily blogging away). They set up a methadone clinic here not very long ago and currently we have about 12 active patients. I think some must be wondering what is this methadone thing all about. KKM has started this program to help reduce the number of HIV cases in the country. So how does it help?..Many drug addicts take their daily dose of morphine and heroin by sharing needles rite, so by giving them free methadone, it sort of replaces the heroin and morphine addiction and inevitably minimize needle sharing and thus eliminating HIV. Basically what we pharmacists do is just to dispense this methadone to the addicts. For me, I feel we can do more than just mere dispensing. We can play a role to help them. I feel God has given me a heart of compassion for these addicts. I hope to see them going back into the community with self-worth. It brings joy to my heart when some of them told me that things are beginning to take a new turn in their lives with a job and all other things starting to fall into place again. Some of my colleagues told me not to trust them fully because they could be potential actors which I don't hope to find out cause I think I will be disappointed. I hope God will give me the discernment in this area.

No comments: